Sunday, August 18, 2013

1987 AP Exam

Similar to the AP English test we took last year, this test was straight up hard. Usually reading comprehension is a strong suit for me in things like the SAT and state testing but AP exams have much more complex passages.

One area I struggled in most was poetry, I had the same problem when I took the SAT subject test. I often times fail to comprehend the implied meanings and symbolism for the poems and therefore unfortunately never understand the intended effect.

Some poetry questions I struggled with:

25. I had difficulty following the poem therefore had trouble identifying the author’s purpose.

52. This poem seemed especially long and I didn’t follow the effect of the breeze very well apparently.

I also struggled with vocabulary not only in the passages but also words in the questions, making some of them nearly impossible.

Vocab questions I struggled with

32. I didn’t know what any of the answers meant. That’s a problem.

Study :Terza rima, Ballad Meter, Blank verse, Dactylic Hexameter, Rhyme royal, or Heroic couplets

61. This question again involved technical poetry terms that I didn’t know.

The other very common problem I had was I felt some of the questions had answers that were very similar and you had to choose what test writers and teachers call “the most right”. This is so frustrating because it seems as though they could all be possible!

Questions I found easy

1. Woohoo confidence booster! I was able to use my context clues and choose correctly.

11. The questions were you just look back and the answer is there are my favorite.

20. I liked how this question was logical and easy to understand.


Side note: I don’t know if we were supposed to comment on the difficulty of the essay question but I might as well. I felt at a big disadvantage for these questions because I have not read any of the suggested texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment